Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day Nine, Training Day Six



Today was another wonderful day of Aikido in Ocean Beach. I couldn't imagine a more perfect setting for a dojo. We are centered in the heart of OB, one block to the beach, one block to the grocery, one block to food (some of the best food in the county, according to the Travel Channel), and for drinkers we are even only one block to the most hoppin bars in San Diego. For those of you who dont know, I have been trying to keep alcohol out of my life. I have had a few drinks occasionally but have taken it out of my life for the most part. I never before realized how much in bondage I was when I used alcohol. My mind is more clear now, my decisions are more centered, and I dont have to worry about the wild embarassing nights when you look like a jackass and go to jail. Also, now that I dont really drink I dont have to worry about getting a DUI and I now know that every decision I make is based off my heart not liquid courage. I do not judge those that drink it just wasn't for me anymore or at least just not at this time. Another advantage to not drinking is I have way more time to do other things like play guitar, write this blog, write music, etc. I can remember spending sometimes 8, 10, 12 hours doing nothing but drinking, smoking and shooting the shit. No doubt it was fun but not ideal time management, nonetheless.

I have also recently gotten more into yoga and meditation. I often walk down to the ocean (one block away) and meditate while I listen to the waves. It is so peaceful and relaxing. For those of who dont know, this is also how I found San Diego. I was lieing on the beach in Santa Monica listening to the waves and meditating. For days. I was literally starving, at its most defining meaning, quite clueless of what to do with my life, and absolutely flat broke-busted. After four days of lieing on the beach, mediating and talking with the seas, I had made a divine appointment. And at somewhere around 2pm, west coast time, an angel appeared in my life just long enough to give me a drink of water and recommend that I go to San Diego. It was in that moment when I least expected it that the spirit moved into my heart and took control of my ship. The sails began to take shape and the winds of destiny began to guide me like a candle in the dark. That moment in Santa Monica, Ca was a very defining moment for me. I was just a kid from Keithville, La and now I was in the big world with no money, no food and a dog. For more, email me and I will forward you the rest of that story.

No matter how I got here, I am here. I feel glad to be here. And thankful for everything.
I have been alone on this journey for the past few days. During these past few days, I have not been able to share my spirit and energy with my partner but rather it has been balling in my stomach and think it may be coming out in this blog. I have been finished with practice for nearly an hour now. I am still wearing my gi (training uniform). Normally on Monday, Wednesday and Friday we uchideshis go out to dinner to the Blue Parrot on Niagara. However, today the leader of that movement, Richard, was not present. I have now been training for one full week. During this time, I have been taking small steps in my discoveries in Aikido technique and philosophy. Also, I have now had time to learn more about the other uchideshis, Taylor, Arthur, Nick and part time deshi Richard. I dont remember where Richard and Arthur are from. Taylor is 22 and was raised in Vail, Colorado. He has spent much time overseas and has been a world traveler since he was 15. Taylor is also a diver and currently training under me for his divemaster certification. He was a big help yesterday as he assisted me in a guided dive and I feel he will be a real asset to my cause. Nick is from Montana and eats dry cereal. He says it is like grits. I love grits but never had dry cereal. But he says everyone he knows eats it, so it must be good. Nick is also interested in learning to scuba dive and will also be taking classes from me throughout this journey. I feel privileged to be able to teach diving and want to use this skill as a way to give back to my community. I will not charge any of the uchideshis. This is my gift to them.

After almost one week, I am still brand new to Aikido. However, I do feel I am beginning to understand the basic techniques and doing them with more ease. I am not yet doing all of the advanced moves in the advanced class but feel I will be doing them soon. My rolls and falls are improving and my kyoku (my center) is beginning to take form. Amber's presence is still missing. I feel a void in my life, like there is a missing link. I enjoy so much to see Amber in practice and hope she returns soon.

Thank you very much for reading.
Justin.

No comments:

Post a Comment